Bialik revealed her exit from the syndicated game show on Instagram Friday afternoon.
WASHINGTON — Mayim Bialik announced she will not return to host “Jeopardy!”
Bialik revealed her exit from the syndicated game show on Instagram Friday afternoon. In her post, former “Big Bang Theory” star said that Sony Pictures Television told her that she “would no longer be hosting the syndicated version of Jeopardy!”
“I am incredibly honored to have been nominated for a primetime Emmy for hosting this year and I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of the Jeopardy! family,” Bialik said in a statement. “For all those who have supported me through this incredible journey and to the fans, contestants, writers, stars and crew of America’s Favorite Quiz Show, thank you.”
Sony Pictures Television issued a statement on the official “Jeopardy!” Facebook account shortly after Bialik’s announcement.
“We made the decision to have one host for the syndicated show next season to maintain continuity for our viewers, and Ken Jennings will be the sole host for syndicated Jeopardy!” Sony said. “We are truly grateful for all of Mayim’s contributions to Jeopardy!, and we hope to continue to work with her on primetime specials.”
Bialik, who shared hosting duties with Ken Jennings on “Jeopardy!,” served as an interim and then a permanent host for the show after Alex Trebek’s death.
Earlier this year, Bialik stepped back from her hosting duties on “Jeopardy!” during the final weeks of Season 39 of the show. Sources told Variety that Bialik declined to host the syndicated game show to support the Hollywood strikes at the time.
Jennings has assumed hosting duties for the second season of the primetime spin-off “Celebrity Jeopardy!” The former show champion has also been hosting Season 40 of the syndicated show by himself.
Andrew Weil contributed to this report.