TUD Dresden University of Technology, as a University of Excellence, is one of the leading and most dynamic research institutions in the country. Founded in 1828, today it is a globally oriented, regionally anchored top university as it focuses on the grand challenges of the 21st century. lt develops innovative solutions for the world’s most pressing issues. In research and academic programs, the university unites the natural and engineering sciences with the humanities, social sciences and medicine. This wide range of disciplines is a special feature, facilitating interdisciplinarity and transfer of science to society. As a modern employer, it offers attractive working conditions to all employees in teaching, research, technology and administration. The goal is to promote and develop their individual abilities while empowering everyone to reach their full potential. TUD embodies a university culture that is characterized by cosmopolitanism, mutual appreciation, thriving innovation and active participation. For TUD diversity is an essential feature and a quality criterion of an excellent university. Accordingly, we welcome all applicants who would like to commit themselves, their achievements and productivity to the success of the whole institution.
At the “Friedrich List” Faculty of Transport and Traffic Sciences, Dresden Institute of Automobile Engineering, the Chair of Automobile Engineering offers a position as
Research Group Leader Vehicle Physics (m/f/x)
(subject to personal qualification employees are remunerated according to salary group E 14 TV-L)
starting April 1, 2024. The position is limited to up to 6 years. The period of employment is governed by the Fixed Term Research Contracts Act (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz – WissZeitVG). The position aims at obtaining further academic qualification (usually habilitation thesis).
Our Automotive Test Center with eleven state-of-the-art test rigs for vehicle physics and a world-wide unique, highly immersive driving simulator will be at your disposal. You will be building upon comprehensive existing know-how in the form of existing driver models, traffic models and toolchains. The Chair of Automotive Engineering is part of the “Friedrich List” Faculty of Transport and Traffic Sciences at TU Dresden with extensive opportunities for interdisciplinary cooperation.
Tasks: You will be leading a team of scientists researching vehicle dynamics (longitudinal/lateral/vertical) under the influence of chassis control, driver assistance, and automated driving functions. You consider the attribute fields handling, driveability, ride comfort, durability, active safety, energy efficiency of vehicles in simulation and experiment. Furthermore, you will be coordinating the academic teaching activities of the Chair of Automobile Engineering in the Mechanical engineering classes. These include
- coordinating and pursuing teaching, in particular the design of a master’s degree programme “Automotive and Railway Engineering”;
- pursuing courses under the professional guidance of the Chair holder;
- leading the research group Vehicle Physics. This includes the professional scientific direction, the creation and extension as well as the disciplinary leadership of the department. You will be reporting to the holder of the Chair.
- Directing of research topics in the scientific context of vehicle physics. This includes handling, driveability, ride comfort, durability, active safety, energy efficiency of vehicles under the influence of chassis control, driver assistance, and automated driving functions.
- creation and application of simulation models and experimental methods in vehicle physics;
- strategic creation and improvement of scientific reputation, organization and writing of research proposals (particularly DFG), responsibility for publication strategy, participation in conferences;
- academic supervision of PhD students of the Chair;
- application for third-party funding for the activities of the Chair.
- university and successfully completed PhD degree, preferably in the area of automotive engineering, mechatronics, electric engineering or similar suitable field;
- scientific experience and exposure in at least one of the following areas: vehicle dynamics, chassis control systems, advanced driver assistance systems, total vehicle simulation or similar;
- initial experiences in the successful submission of research proposals;
- high level of creative competence, objective oriented way of working, capacity for teamwork, personal initiative;
- German and English language skills, both at B2 level.
- An existing network in the previously mentioned areas is desirable.
If you are interested in a dynamic, team-oriented working environment for the future of mobility, this is the place for you. Our partners include distinguished international institutes, renowned vehicle manufacturers as well as market-leading suppliers and engineering services providers. The desire for new challenges and personal development is particularly important to us.
TUD strives to employ more women in academia and research. We therefore expressly encourage women to apply. The University is a certified family-friendly university and offers a Dual Career Service. We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities. If multiple candidates prove to be equally qualified, those with disabilities or with equivalent status pursuant to the German Social Code IX (SGB IX) will receive priority for employment.
Please submit your comprehensive application including the usual documents by December 19, 2023 (stamped arrival date of the university central mail service or the time stamp on the email server of TUD applies) to: TU Dresden, Fakultät Verkehrswissenschaften “Friedrich List”, Institut für Automobiltechnik Dresden, Professur für Kraftfahrzeugtechnik, Herrn Prof. Dr.-Ing. Günther Prokop, Helmholtzstr. 10, 01069 Dresden, Germany or via the TUD SecureMail Portal https://securemail.tu-dresden.de by sending it as a single pdf file to [email protected]. Please submit copies only, as your application will not be returned to you. Expenses incurred in attending interviews cannot be reimbursed.
Reference to data protection: Your data protection rights, the purpose for which your data will be processed, as well as further information about data protection is available to you on the website: https://tu-dresden.de/karriere/datenschutzhinweis.