Before you can launch a website, you’ll need to know where to host it. However, with thousands of hosting services available, how do you know which one is the right one for you?
Shared hosting services provide an affordable option for those who want to build a WordPress site but don’t want their own dedicated server. Fortunately, there are several web hosts that offer beginner-friendly services for website owners.
In this post, we’ll take a closer look at shared hosting and its main benefits. We’ll also offer some tips to help you choose the right service provider. Finally, we’ll look at six popular hosting options for your WordPress site. Let’s get started!
What shared hosting is
Shared hosting is an affordable, easy-to-use service offered by almost every web host. When you opt for this type of hosting, your website will share a server with hundreds or even thousands of other sites. This differs from a dedicated hosting service — which only a single client would use.
There are many advantages to a shared hosting service:
- Cost: You’re only paying for a fraction of a server rather than the entire machine.
- Control: You can set up and manage your own website from the control panel in your hosting account.
- Support: You don’t need to manage the performance or uptime yourself — the hosting provider does all of that for you.
Since you rely on your hosting service for WordPress support, it’s essential to choose a reliable host. While switching from one provider to another is possible, it’s often complicated and time-consuming. Therefore, it’s important to find the right one from the start.
How to choose the right shared hosting service
There are a few critical factors you need to consider when choosing the right hosting service. These include:
- Budget: Most shared hosting services will only cost a few dollars a month, but that can add up if you’re launching multiple sites.
- Features: You’ll want to ensure that the web host offers all the essential features to help you get started, including one-click WordPress installs, email accounts, and domain registration.
- Resources: It’s also important to look at the storage space and bandwidth limit, as these could impact the growth and performance of your website.
- Support: You may also want to choose a host that offers 24/7 customer support by email, live chat, or phone.
When it comes to WordPress, there are additional considerations. This popular Content Management System (CMS) tends to use a lot of resources. Due to its popularity, WordPress is also a common target among hackers. Therefore, you may want to look for a hosting provider that prioritizes WordPress security and performance.
Most web hosts also provide hosting services specifically designed for WordPress. While you could install this CMS on any shared hosting account, a WordPress-specific account will be customized to the needs of the platform.
The best shared hosting for WordPress websites (6 options)
To help you get started, we’ve put together a list of the six popular shared hosting services for WordPress websites. These come with affordable plans, excellent uptime, solid performance, and an array of WordPress-oriented features. Let’s take a closer look at what they have to offer.
Founded in 2003, Bluehost is one of the largest web hosts in the world, hosting over 2 million websites. Its plans include a drag-and-drop website builder and access to a Content Delivery Network (CDN) for better performance.
Bluehost’s shared hosting plans include:
- One-click WordPress installs
- Unlimited disk storage
- Unlimited domain hosting
- Free domain names
Bluehost is best for beginners who want an easy-to-use system. You can use its one-click install service to launch a WordPress site within a few minutes.
Pricing: The Basic plan starts at $2.95 and it’s mainly suitable for those who want to build a single website. If you want to run multiple sites or get access to unlimited storage, you’ll need to opt for a more advanced plan.
DreamHost is known for being a reliable hosting service. This company provides complete web hosting and domain registration services. It even offers a money back guarantee if its services don’t deliver what they promise.
DreamHost’s shared hosting plans include:
- Free domains
- Free SSL certificates
- Unlimited storage, bandwidth, and email
- One-click installs
- Automated site backups
DreamHost is perfect for those who want the option to scale up in the future. As your website expands, you can upgrade to the company’s more advanced hosting plans for WordPress sites.
Pricing: DreamHost’s shared hosting plans start at $2.59 a month. If you’re looking for a hosting solution for multiple websites, you can opt for the Shared Unlimited plan.
HostGator is a web hosting service that provides shared, reseller, virtual private server, and dedicated hosting services. Founded in 2002, HostGator now boasts over 1,000 employees.
HostGator’s shared hosting plans include:
- Unlimited storage and bandwidth
- An easy-to-use eCommerce site builder
- $150 in Google Ads credit
- cPanel access for administration
- 24/7 live chat and phone support
HostGator may be a suitable choice for those who want to build an online store with WordPress. Not only does it come with an eCommerce site builder, but it also offers ad credit that can be used to bring traffic to the site immediately.
Pricing: HostGator’s most affordable shared hosting service is the Hatchling Plan, which starts at $2.75 per month.
Initially, GoDaddy sold domain names. Today, this company is a complete web hosting service. However, you can still visit its website to search for the perfect domain name.
GoDaddy’s shared hosting plans include:
- Free domain names with hosting accounts
- A year of Office 365 email support
- Resource management and alerts
- Unlimited bandwidth and disk space
- Free, one-click WordPress installation
GoDaddy may be the ideal solution for those who want additional domain and email services alongside their hosting account. It’s one of the only services that provides Office 365 email support for businesses that need a collaborative solution.
Pricing: GoDaddy’s most economical plan starts at $5.99 per month. For unlimited storage and multiple websites, you can choose the Deluxe or Unlimited plan.
IONOS (formerly 1&1) provides web hosting, domain registration, SSL certificates, email services, cloud hosting, and website building packages. Daily backups and anti-spam protection round out its hosting services.
IONOS’ shared hosting plans include:
- One-click installs and website builders
- Free domains and SSL certificates
- 99.9 percent uptime guarantee
- Performance management utilities
IONOS may be the best option for those who want to set up a Business WordPress installation, due to its SSL services and performance management utilities. It’s also suitable for those who need the cheapest possible service.
Pricing: At IONOS, WordPress hosting can start as low as $0.50 a month. This is one of the cheapest rates available for WordPress users, even if it is just an introductory rate.
Hostinger has over 29 million users across the globe. An employee-owned web hosting service and internet domain registrar, Hostinger has recently exploded in popularity. It provides both traditional hosting as well as cloud-based services. It even has Minecraft servers.
Hostinger’s shared hosting plans include:
- Free domain names and SSL
- One-click installations
- Daily backups
- A user-friendly control panel for easy administration
- 99.9 percent uptime guarantee
Hostinger can be a suitable choice for those who want an affordable but robust hosting service. Moreover, this web host makes it super easy to set up and manage your WordPress site. It provides a set of developer-friendly tools to help you get started, as well as a database of WordPress tutorials.
Pricing: Hostinger’s shared hosting plans start at $1.39 a month. Its Business Shared Hosting plan is optimized for small businesses and gives you more storage space for your content.
If you want to start a WordPress site on a budget, you may want to consider opting for a shared hosting plan. This service tends to be very affordable and user-friendly, while still giving you complete control over your site.
In this post, we looked at six popular shared hosting options for WordPress websites:
- Bluehost: This web host may be the right choice for WordPress beginners and anyone who wants an easy, no-fuss installation process.
- DreamHost: This company provides a reliable, trusted service with a high percentage of uptime.
- HostGator: If you’re starting an e-commerce site, this web host provides several tools and features to help you set yourself up for success.
- GoDaddy: This hosting provider offers complete email and domain services for those who want to set up a collaborative environment.
- IONOS: This hosting service is an excellent option for small business owners who need a reliable and secure service.
- Hostinger: If you want a hosting service that is affordable as it is versatile, Hostinger may be the right option for you.
As your website grows, you may find that you need a more powerful hosting solution. At FreshySites, we offer professional WordPress website hosting that is tailored to your needs. Contact us for a quote today.