In January 2022, Muhammadu Buhari mentioned throughout an NTA interview he was tired of being Nigeria’s president.
He mentioned “I see my colleagues, they’re now resting, and I guarantee you I look ahead to the following 17 months after I too can be much less busy. The age is telling on me — working now for six, seven to eight hours per day within the workplace isn’t any joke.”
Buhari could also be complaining about all of the onerous work he has to do as president, however he can’t deny he’s trying ahead to the advantages ready for him after May 29, 2023.
If you don’t have any concept what we’re speaking about, permit us clarify.
What legislation guides the perks ex-presidents get pleasure from?
That could be the Remuneration of Former Presidents and Heads Of State (and Other Ancillary Matters) Act of 2004. The Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) determines the advantages package deal for former presidents and former vice-presidents.
What are these advantages?
We know that’s what you’re actually after, so right here’s a listing of the key perks former presidents and vice-presidents obtain:
- ₦350,000 month-to-month allowance for ex-presidents and ₦250,000 month-to-month for ex-VPs.
- The households of deceased former heads of state are entitled to ₦1 million each year, paid ₦250,000 per quarter. The households of deceased ex-VPs get ₦750,000 each year, paid ₦187,500 per quarter.
- Upkeep of the spouses and training of the youngsters of deceased ex-presidents and deceased ex-VPs up to the college degree.
- Three to 4 armed policemen for safety.
- One State Security Service (SSS) officer not beneath grade degree 10 as an aide-de-camp to be connected for all times.
- Three autos for ex-presidents and two autos for ex-VPs, replaceable each 4 years.
- An officer not beneath the rank of a chief administrative officer and a private secretary not beneath grade degree 12.
- Diplomatic passport for all times.
- Free medical therapy for ex-presidents and ex-VPs and their rapid household inside Nigeria.
- Treatment overseas for ex-presidents and ex-VPs and their rapid household the place obligatory.
- 30 days annual trip in Nigeria or overseas.
- A well-furnished and outfitted workplace in any location of selection inside Nigeria.
- A well-furnished five-bedroom home in any location inside Nigeria. An ex-VP will get a three-bedroom home.
Look at that listing once more and ask your self why you aren’t operating for president.
Oh, one different factor: the spouses of deceased leaders cease receiving their advantages in the event that they remarry so it’s past until dying do us half.
When did ex-presidents begin receiving a pension?
Former leaders having fun with these perks as we speak have one man to thank: General Sani Abacha. It was during his administration Nigeria began fascinated with offering pensions for dwelling presidents and their households. Bad belle individuals would say Abacha was looking for himself and the irony is he wasn’t round to get pleasure from it.
Is this apply regular?
Former leaders all over the world like within the United States and the United Kingdom obtain allowances and further advantages after leaving workplace. But belief Nigeria to push issues to the intense.
In 2016, the secretary to the federal government of the federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal, lamented that the federal government couldn’t pay the salaries of previous presidents due to lack of funds. Between 2018 and 2021 alone, the perks that ex-presidents and ex-VPs acquired value Nigerian taxpayers ₦9.2 billion. In October 2022, findings revealed ex-presidents, ex-VPs and different appointees would obtain ₦63 billion in pension in 2023.
Clearly, the advantages package deal for former leaders wants to be revisited as the fee is turning into too insufferable for a country already burdened by debt. But figuring out Nigerian leaders, don’t maintain your breath on issues altering anytime quickly.